Monday, April 28, 2008

Longshan Temple and Danshui

Wes and I met up with our friend Xenia to take a tour of Longshan Temple 2 weeks ago. One of Xenia's students was a part of a Junior High School group who was doing free English tours of the temple. All of the students did a wonderful job with the English tour, and it was great to support their project.

This is just through the main gate of Longshan Temple. You enter on the right side through the Green Dragon gate for good luck. You exit the temple through the gate on the left side which is the White Tiger gate to leave your bad luck behind.


It was the 15th day of the month on the lunar calendar so it was a special day at the temple. Typically there are a lot of people at the temple on Sundays, but there were even more than usual. I was pretty sure I was going to get burned by a stick of incense while we were wandering around the temple with all of those people, but I was fortunate to not be.



Xenia, Wes and I with some of the students giving the tour.

Later that day, we took a trip to the Tittot Glass Blowing museum. The museum was great and had some very interesting pieces of art. Our new friend Ben was actually able to blow glass while we were there, which was interesting to watch.

After we spent time at the museum, we went to Danshui. Danshui is a town that sits on the Danshui River that flows out to sea just northwest of Taipei. It's a really nice area to peruse around, shop, and watch the river.

A woman on a bench by the river.


Jordan, Rachael, and Xenia.

Here is Wes eating one of my favorite treats in Taipei . . . candy coated strawberries.

No comments: