Monday, May 25, 2009

1 year and 4 months in Taiwan

This is it . . . the end of our journey in Taiwan. Tonight we are sealing up the rest of the boxes to be mailed to the states, which will contain the computer (thus why I am writing this post tonight). We don't fly out of Taiwan until Monday, June 1st, but mailing our stuff somehow feels final. 

"What a long strange trip it's been . . . "

Wes and I are so appreciative of our experience here in Taiwan. We have laughed a lot and shaken our heads a lot . . . we've gotten to know cockroaches pretty well, been treated like rockstars simply because of our hair color, been initiated into a strange Taiwanese religious organization without fore-warning, been plowed over by elderly Taiwanese women, Wes lost about 4 feet of hair, I learned a little Chinese, we've eaten amazing food . . . and some terrible food, we've smelled smells that we never knew could exist, and we've seen amazing beautiful sites that make us highly recommend Taiwan to any person traveling in Asia. We've also met some great friends who have taught us so much about the culture in Taiwan, and about life. 

It has been wonderful, but it's also been a rough year for us. I personally lost two friends, one to cancer and one to the war in Iraq. Wes had a lot of struggles with his work situations and with visas, etc. We've overcome a lot of obstacles living here, that I don't wish to dwell on, but am happy to have learned from.

Our time in Taiwan has ended, and we are ready to move on.

We are so excited to travel for awhile, and then to see all of our family and friends back home! 

We'll post photos from our trip upon our return.

Lots of Love! Peace!

1 comment:

Natalie said...

I loved your farewell post. It says it all. And I have been so lucky to have met you both. Thank you for everything, from helping me get adjusted in the beginning to our last night out dancing! I will miss you guys so much :( I wish you all the best back home!